Honestly, I was really enjoying this movie. This movie is about 4 friends: Michael, Albert, Stanley and Sefa. They are notorious for what they screwed up in other four past weddings. In order to sustain the order in Sione’s wedding, they are banned, unless they bring their girlfriends.
In the movie, people in that area have a very serious meeting led by priest. From this point, we can find out people have great respect to the priest. As I learned in anthropology, in the old chiefdom, chiefs were seen as divine people related to God. So people must give them great respect. I think Samoan could still follow this kind of tradition to respect the priest who is thought to be very spiritual. Meanwhile, they also show great respect to the elders. Even though Albert’s mother is talking bad about Michael, he is still very patient.
Sione’s wedding is mostly in Samoan. Michael sings a song in Samoan in the reception. Most of the time, people spoke English in the movie though. I am aware Princess and Michael are digging for taro leaves but I do not know why. I think it is also a tradition for the wedding. During the wedding, bride and groom dance hula and other people follow. What also impresses me is that males in the movie all wear skirts in the wedding. What I mention above is from my observation.
It is indeed a fun movie. If you are interested in it, you can borrow the DVD in the Sinclair Library.
No comments:
Post a Comment