Monday, November 16, 2009

Linguistic Landscapes





1 comment:

  1. During our guest lecture, Professor Laurie Durand presented a powerpoint with a variety of linguistic landscapes. On the powerpoint slides, she showed us many examples of signs that she took when she traveled around the world. She explained how different languages may be conveyed through signs and how it is also used to mark geographical areas. I found it very interesting when she told us that most of the signs in Fiji are in English. Only cultural things such as the names of food were in Fijian. You would think that there would be a lot of signs in Fijian since it’s the official language. But then again, English is also one of the official languages of Fiji and a predominant language around the world. I feel that the examples I posted depicted a sense of pride for the local people. Some T-shirts also educate people to preserve the Hawaiian culture and to also save the endangered species, such as the Honu shirt.

    ReplyDelete