Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Head Rush: Hip Hop and a Hawaiian “Nation On the Rise” (comment)

Head Rush: Hip Hop and a Hawaiian “Nation On the Rise” (comment)

(draft 2 - as my previous entry disappeared when I clicked preview; Blogger confirmed there is a problem with posting comments at the moment.)

I have never heard of Jawaiian music nor Sudden Rush prior to this article. I find their Afro-centric ties to music interesting. It is great that Sudden Rush has a message for their audience but I am surprised that further education of Native Hawaiians isn't one of those messages.

I found the statistics in the article quite disturbing and after doing further research the cancer statistics used were from 1992-1998 and incarceration rates from 1995-1999. It would be interesting to see if there has been any improvements with these facts; if any, and any contributing factors that could have caused those numbers to sway one way or another.

1 comment:

  1. @Max: the latest statistics I could find seemed to look like this report from 2008:

    Breast, stomach and lung cancer deaths occurred in Native Hawaiian men at a rate of 145 per 100,000 deaths, compared with 117 per 100,000 deaths in white men, the study found. Among Native Hawaiian women, 123 per 100,000 deaths were from breast, stomach, cervical or lung cancer, compared with 82 per 100,000 deaths for white women. Researchers also found that 34% of Native Hawaiian men smoked, compared with 23% of white men, and that 28% of Native Hawaiian women smoked, compared with 16% of white women.

    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/106390.php

    ReplyDelete