Sunday, September 20, 2009

The readings for this lecture focus largely on the authenticity and the revitalization of the Hawaiian language. Authenticity is related to identity and voice in the three articles, stating that whichever form of speaking the Hawaiian language is closest to the original is considered authentic. A question that is brought to my attention is if authenticity depends on the person that speaks the language, such as a non-Hawaiian person speaking Hawaiian versus a Hawaiian speaking this language. Also, who decides what is and isn’t authentic? In the article by Wong, he says that authenticity is irrelevant, and that anything in a language can be said to be authentic by “establishing a tradition for its use”. Any thoughts on this? I found that this website http://www.bestplaceshawaii.com/tips/hints/hawaiian_words.html shows the “Top 20 Hawaiian Words to Learn for Your Trip”. I thought was kind of funny. Nearly all of these words are thrown out frequently here in Hawaii to tourists, and it may allow them to feel like they’re immersed in the Hawaiian culture. But how authentic are the meanings on these words besides the surface meaning? What do you think?

Another important topic brought up is the concept of kuleana. If you look at this website http://www.meleohana.net/glossary.htm , kuleana is considered to be a small piece of property. This is an extremely different definition of the word in the articles, which states it as the rights, responsibilities, and authorities of a group of people. This is an example of deciding which definition is more authentic. Obviously I’m more likely to trust the articles themselves over a website, but I wondered how this word got mistranslated. One of the articles mentions The Kuleana Act of 1850, where 1% of land was awarded to Hawaiian people and the U.S. kept the other 99%. I can now understand how this mistranslation happened. Now I’m wondering how many people have been using Hawaiian words thinking they mean one thing when it can mean something totally opposite or unrelated.

Next is the topic of Hawaiian Revitalization. There has been a resurgence of interest in the Hawaiian language and culture since the 1960’s and 1970’s as we’ve been told in class. Since the opening of the Hawaiian Language Immersion Programs, the number of Hawaiian speakers has increased significantly, but can this be considered progress? Does it only depend on numbers? Are we looking for the quantity of speakers or the quality of speakers? Emphasis is placed on reading Hawaiian language sources for understanding the past, however many of these sources aren’t properly translated.

On a final note, authenticity once again is an issue relevant to Hawaiian speakers today. Some people consider themselves Hawaiian simply because they can speak and understand the language. However, there is a difference between learning a foreign language and the revitalization of the language. One of the articles mentions that although non-Hawaiians are interested in saving the Hawaiian language, and their help is appreciated, these people tend to do it through their own rules and definitions, without giving Hawaiians a chance to make decisions about their language. New words such as “carbohydrates” are trying to be incorporated into the Hawaiian language, without the consent of the native speakers. Is there anything that can be done to stop this? I feel like there should be some sort of committee that approves of these things. Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. You make an excellent point in asking who defines what is authentic and what's not. The article mentioned a non-Hawaiian male who spoke Hawaiian approaching one of the Hawaiian professors in the Hawaiian Studies department. He told the professor that he was "more Hawaiian" because he spoke the language and she did not. Personally, I would have been furious if I had been that professor. Speaking a language does not automatically mean the person understands the culture who created the language. If I speak Japanese, that does not make me Japanese. I also feel that websites that tell tourists the "20 Most Popular Hawaiian words" should really emphasize that these words have multiple meanings and should not be casually thrown about. Hawaiian is not just a language, it is a culture. Anyone who wants to learn the language should seek to learn about the culture first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have several very good points here. As for language authenticity, I think it all depends on how people define it. I totally agree with what Wong mentioned about autenticity in the article. Also I think it does not neccessarily mean language closet to traditional use is authentic. As for the tourists who speak the most common used language in Hawaiian, they only know the surface meaning, not the actual meaning of the words. Personally speaking, it is definitely not authentic.

    Thanks to Nicole, now I am kind of realize why Hawaiian signed a contract for only 1% land belonging to Hawaiians. It is kind of word tricks. So please be careful about the multiple meaning about the words to avoid the fraud.

    Also simply speaking Hawaiian does not mean they are Hawaiian. Like I can speak English. I do not think I am an American. I think the true Hawaiian need to understand their culture.

    ReplyDelete