Monday, December 7, 2009

LiC- Filipino Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful and this year's Thanksgiving family dinner was a good one. Every year my whole family gathers at my house for dinner, the typical Filipino family gatherings with nana, tata, aunties, uncles and cousins. But this year had a small twist to it, our power went out at 5pm and we had to have out Thanksgiving dinner without power. So practically eating dinner in the dark without lights and just with candles. So we all sat around the living room and dining table with our foods and just chatted about what we were thankful for. That conversation then lead to how my nana, tata and parents spent Christmas in the Philippines. They were telling their stories in Ilocano and for the most part I understood them. It was hard to understand my nana and tata at times because they had a heavy Ilocano dialect and some words they used I couldn't make out. I guess that happened because they were native speakers of the language while I'm just learning a small portion of the language in school. Some of their sentence structures when they spoke were kind of confusing but yet I managed to put the puzzle pieces together and understood. I would attempt to converse with them back in Ilocano to the best I could. It was hard to speak fluently because I'm not good at it yet. It was good to communicate with my family in Ilocano because now I feel like I could connect with them at a whole different level.

No comments:

Post a Comment