Tuesday, December 1, 2009

LiC - Poly Fest

I meant to write about this before I left for Thanksgiving, but I ran out of time.

Anyhow, I went to Poly Fest, which took place at the Hale Aloha courtyard at the dorms. I've been to Poly Fest in previous years as well. It was a pretty unique experience for me, since several of my friends were in many of the performances. Many Pacific Island cultures were represented, including Tongan, Samoan, Tahitian, and Hawaiian. I think it is important to have events such as this (particularly at the dorms) so that students from the mainland are able to see the immense diversity present here in Hawaii.

I greatly enjoyed watching the various halaus, since I am very interested in learning hula or at least taking a hula class. In terms of language, as we all know, the majority of the Pacific Island languages are related. I tried to pay close attention to the various languages to hear similarities and differences. Overall, it was a very fun and interesting event to attend, and since I'm graduating next semester, I'm going to miss going to Poly Fest in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment