Tuesday, December 8, 2009

LiC- Samoan Wedding

Samoan Wedding was such a funny and entertaining movie to watch. I was shown this movie in my Hawaiian Studies class because my teacher is Hawaiian and Samoan and it is one of her favorite movies. I couldn’t stop laughing throughout the entire thing. The plot was based on four friends, Albert, Stanley, Michael, and Sefa living in Auckland, New Zealand. They are all very immature and act up wherever they go. Sione, Michael’s brother, is having a wedding but has decided not to invite them until they shape up and have respectable dates to bring as well. When they were brought in by the minister, they knew they needed to change for the better.

All four of the friends had different lifestyles and girl issues. It was so hilarious when they did their “duck” handshakes and their dance moves. Albert never could find a date, so his mom set him up on a date with his cousin, whom he brought to Sione’s wedding. All of the guys teased him at first until they saw what she looked like. This movie shows many video clips from the boys’ past that made it even funnier. There are several cultural ties which reveal a sense of Samoan culture, but I don’t believe they tried that hard in doing so. Throughout the movie, the characters teased the Samoan culture while using some Samoan words and cultural appeals. Although there wasn’t too much Samoan speaking in the movie, I thought I was very funny and made me laugh a lot. The characters were likeable and easy to relate to in a sense. I recommend this movie to anyone that is looking for a comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment