Saturday, December 5, 2009

LiC - Samoan Wedding

I rented Sione's Wedding (aka Samoan Wedding) on Netflix. The basic plot is about four mischievous men who have been banned from attending Sione's wedding unless they can curb their trouble-making ways and bring respectable dates. Throughout the movie, there are references to certain Samoan stereotypes in order to create humor. I felt that this tied-in to the discussion we had earlier about whether using stereotypes was acceptable or not in creating humor.

I would have liked to hear more Samoan spoken in the movie. The majority of the movie was in English, with the exception of a song during the wedding ceremony, which was in Samoan. Also, while the movie does create humor to use cultural stereotypes, it would have been nice for the movie to point out more of the positive aspects of Samoan culture, instead of just getting drunk and starting fights. However, overall it was a funny movie that did make me and my roommate laugh at many points and I would recommend it to other individuals as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment